Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The ad hoc committee report on estimating the future workforce and training requirements for nephrology.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1997; 8: S1-S4
- 2012 Physician Specialty Data Book.Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC2012
- 2008 Physician Specialty Data.Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC2008
- Anonymous. Graduate medical education.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1234-1248
- Graduate medical education, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2012; 308: 2264-2279
- The clinical investigator as an endangered species.N Engl J Med. 1979; 301: 1254-1259
- Shaffer A.I. The vanishing physician-scientist? Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY2009
- Cost, quality, and value: the changing political economy of dialysis care.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 18: 2021-2027
- Number of Candidates Certified Annually by the American Board of Internal Medicine.American Board of Internal Medicine, Philadelphia, PA2011 (Available at:)Accessed January 1, 2013)
- USRDS 2012 Annual Data Report: Atlas of End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States.National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD2012
- Implications of a nephrology workforce shortage for dialysis patient care.Semin Dial. 2011; 24: 275-277
- The Older Population: 2010.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2011 (Available at:)Accessed January 1, 2013)
- USRDS 2012 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease in the United States.National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD2012
- The Complexities of Physician Supply and Demand: Projections Through 2025.Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC2008
- The Impact of Health Care Reform on the Future Supply and Demand for Physicians Updated Projections Through 2025.Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC2010
- Trends in Demand for New Physicians, 2005-2010: A Summary of Demand Indicators for 35 Physician Specialties.University at Albany, State University of New York, Rensselaer, NY2011
- Physician Compensation and Production Survey: 2012 Report Based on 2011 Data.MGMA-ACMPE, Englewood, CO2012
- Predictive modeling the physician assistant supply: 2010-2025.Public Health Rep. 2011; 126: 708-716
- Factors in career choice among US nephrologists.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7: 1786-1792
- 2011 Annual Report.Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, Philadelphia, PA2012 (Available at:)Accessed January 1, 2013)
- Results and Data: Specialties Matching Service 2012 Appointment Year.National Residents Matching Program, Washington, DC2012
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: Health Care Workforce: Future Supply Vs. Demand. Available at: http://www.allhealth.org/publications/Medicare/Health_Care_Workforce_104.pdf. Accessed March 8, 2013.
Fears D. Retirements by baby-boomer doctors, nurses could strain overhaul. Washington Post. 2010. Available at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/13/AR2010061304096.html. Accessed January 2, 2013.
- Workforce Data 2011-2012.American Board of Pediatrics, Chapel Hill, NC2012 (Available at:)Accessed January 3, 2013)
- Generational changes and their impact in the classroom: teaching Generation Me.Med Educ. 2009; 43: 398-405
- Social media in medical education: two innovative pilot studies.Med Educ. 2011; 45: 1158-1159
- FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data.Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC2012 (Available at:)Accessed January 3, 2013)
- Impact of AOA status and perceived lifestyle on career choices of medical school graduates.J Gen Intern Med. 2011; 26: 1434-1440
- The influence of controllable lifestyle and sex on the specialty choices of graduating U.S. medical students, 1996-2003.Acad Med. 2005; 80: 791-796
- Primary care specialty choices of United States medical graduates, 1997-2006.Acad Med. 2010; 85: 947-958
- The impact of U.S. medical students' debt on their choice of primary care careers: an analysis of data from the 2002 medical school graduation questionnaire.Acad Med. 2005; 80: 815-819
- Nephrology as a career choice: a survey of medical students.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20 ([abstract]) (SA PO2867. Available at:) (Accessed March 7, 2013)
- Lessons learned from the ASN Renal Educator Listserv and survey.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. January 4, 2013; ([Epub ahead of print])
- The future nephrology workforce: will there be one?.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011; 6: 1501-1506
- Why is nephrology not chosen as a career? A survey of US Internal Medicine subspecialty fellows.Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 61: 540-546
- Basic research in nephrology: are we in decline?.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 23: 1611-1616
- Sex differences in application, success, and funding rates for NIH extramural programs.Acad Med. 2011; 86: 759-767
National Institutes of Health. Trends in Research Career Development (K) Awards Research Career Development Awards. Available at: http://report.nih.gov/nihdatabook/index.aspx. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- The physician-scientist career pipeline in 2005: build it, and they will come.JAMA. 2005; 294: 1343-1351
Rockey S. Statement of Commitment to New and Early Stage Investigators. Bethesda, MD: The National Institutes of Health. Available at: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/new_investigators/. Accessed January 2, 2013.
- How, when, and why do physicians choose careers in academic medicine? A literature review.Acad Med. 2010; 85: 680-686
- Characteristics and career intentions of the emerging MD/PhD workforce.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1165-1173
- Embracing the Internet as a means of enhancing medical education in nephrology.Am J Kidney Dis. 2011; 58: 512-518
Kidney Disease Screening and Awareness Program. Available at: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/harvardkdsap. Accessed January 7, 2013.
- Enhancing interest in nephrology careers during medical residency.Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 60: 350-353
M.G.P. is Chair of the American Society of Nephrology Workforce Committee. K.A.P. and T.I. are employees of the American Society of Nephrology. B.A.M. is President of the American Society of Nephrology. The authors report no financial or other conflicts of interest to disclose.