- •ACE2 facilitates SARS-CoV-2 host-cell entry and may be upregulated by RAS blockade.
- •Despite their potentially deleterious interaction with ACE2, RAS blockers may be helpful to protect against acute lung injury.
- •While we await trial evidence to determine the safety and efficacy of RAS blockade in COVID-19, international organizations recommend continuing these medications unless otherwise contraindicated.
Cardiovascular and Immunomodulatory Effects of ACE2
ACE2 Effects on Pulmonary Biology
The Case Against RAS Inhibition in COVID-19
- Walters T.E.
- Kalman J.M.
- Patel S.K.
- Mearns M.
- Velkoska E.
- Burrell L.M.
The Case for RAS Inhibition in COVID-19
Observational Studies of RAS Inhibition in COVID-19
Current Recommendations and Future Directions
- Writing Committee M.
- Yancy C.W.
- Jessup M.
- et al.
|American College of Physicians|
|American Heart Association, Heart Failure Society of America, and American College of Cardiology|
|American Society of Pediatric Nephrology|
|European Society of Cardiology Council on Hypertension|
|International Society of Hypertension|
|National Institutes of Health|
- Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1708-1720
- Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1054-1062
- Structure of the SARS-CoV-2 spike receptor-binding domain bound to the ACE2 receptor.Nature. 2020; 581: 215-220
- Are patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus at increased risk for COVID-19 infection?.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: e21
- Effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition and angiotensin II receptor blockers on cardiac angiotensin-converting enzyme 2.Circulation. 2005; 111: 2605-2610
- Enalapril attenuates downregulation of Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 in the late phase of ventricular dysfunction in myocardial infarcted rat.Hypertension. 2006; 48: 572-578
- Upregulation of angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 after myocardial infarction by blockade of angiotensin II receptors.Hypertension. 2004; 43: 970-976
- Renin-angiotensin-Aldosterone system inhibitors and risk of Covid-19.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2441-2448
- Renin-angiotensin-Aldosterone system blockers and the risk of Covid-19.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2431-2440
- Tissue distribution of ACE2 protein, the functional receptor for SARS coronavirus. A first step in understanding SARS pathogenesis.J Pathol. 2004; 203: 631-637
- Fetal programming and the angiotensin-(1-7) axis: a review of the experimental and clinical data.Clin Sci (Lond). 2019; 133: 55-74
- COVID-19, ACE2, and the cardiovascular consequences.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2020; 318: H1084-H1090
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 is an essential regulator of heart function.Nature. 2002; 417: 822-828
- Protection from angiotensin II-induced cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis by systemic lentiviral delivery of ACE2 in rats.Exp Physiol. 2005; 90: 783-790
- Effect of ACE2 and angiotensin-(1-7) in a mouse model of early chronic kidney disease.Am J Physiol Ren Physiol. 2010; 298: F1523-F1532
- Classical Renin-Angiotensin system in kidney physiology.Compr Physiol. 2014; 4: 1201-1228
- Central ANG-(1-7) infusion improves blood pressure regulation in antenatal betamethasone-exposed sheep and reveals sex-dependent effects on oxidative stress.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2019; 316: H1458-H1467
- Angiotensin-(1-7) deficiency and baroreflex impairment precede the antenatal Betamethasone exposure-induced elevation in blood pressure.Hypertension. 2012; 59: 453-458
- Oxidative stress is a critical mediator of the angiotensin II signal in human neutrophils: involvement of mitogen-activated protein kinase, calcineurin, and the transcription factor NF-kappaB.Blood. 2003; 102: 662-671
- Angiotensin-(1-7) and the G protein-coupled receptor MAS are key players in renal inflammation.PLoS One. 2009; 4: e5406
- Loss of angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 accelerates maladaptive left ventricular remodeling in response to myocardial infarction.Circ Heart Fail. 2009; 2: 446-455
- The acute prothrombotic effect of aldosterone in rats is partially mediated via angiotensin II receptor type 1.Thromb Res. 2016; 138: 114-120
- Prothrombotic effects of angiotensin.Adv Intern Med. 2000; 45: 419-429
- Angiotensin II regulates the expression of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in cultured endothelial cells. A potential link between the renin-angiotensin system and thrombosis.J Clin Invest. 1995; 95: 995-1001
- Fibrinolytic abnormalities in acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and versatility of thrombolytic drugs to treat COVID-19.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 1548-1555
- Endothelial cell infection and endotheliitis in COVID-19.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1417-1418
- Structural basis for the recognition of SARS-CoV-2 by full-length human ACE2.Science. 2020; 367: 1444-1448
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 is a functional receptor for the SARS coronavirus.Nature. 2003; 426: 450-454
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome leads to reduced ratio of ACE/ACE2 activities and is prevented by angiotensin-(1-7) or an angiotensin II receptor antagonist.J Pathol. 2011; 225: 618-627
- Ventilator-induced inflammatory response in lipopolysaccharide-exposed rat lung is mediated by angiotensin-converting enzyme.Am J Pathol. 2010; 176: 2219-2227
- Angiotensin II stimulates proliferation of human pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells via the AT1 receptor.Chest. 1998; 114: 90S-91S
- Extravascular sources of lung angiotensin peptide synthesis in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006; 291: L887-L895
- Bleomycin-induced apoptosis of alveolar epithelial cells requires angiotensin synthesis de novo.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2003; 284: L501-L507
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 protects from severe acute lung failure.Nature. 2005; 436: 112-116
- Angiotensin converting enzyme-2 is protective but downregulated in human and experimental lung fibrosis.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008; 295: L178-L185
- A crucial role of angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) in SARS coronavirus-induced lung injury.Nat Med. 2005; 11: 875-879
- Modulation of TNF-alpha-converting enzyme by the spike protein of SARS-CoV and ACE2 induces TNF-alpha production and facilitates viral entry.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008; 105: 7809-7814
- Cryo-EM structure of the SARS coronavirus spike glycoprotein in complex with its host cell receptor ACE2.Plos Pathog. 2018; 14: e1007236
- SARS-CoV-2 cell entry depends on ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and is blocked by a clinically proven protease inhibitor.Cell. 2020; 181: 271-280.e8
- A pilot clinical trial of recombinant human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 in acute respiratory distress syndrome.Crit Care. 2017; 21: 234
- Effect of renin-angiotensin system blockage in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome: a retrospective case control study.Korean J Crit Care Med. 2017; 32: 154-163
- Polymorphism of the angiotensin-converting enzyme gene affects the outcome of acute respiratory distress syndrome.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: 1001-1006
- Angiotensin receptor subtype AT(1) mediates alveolar epithelial cell apoptosis in response to ANG II.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2002; 282: L713-L718
- AT1 receptor-mediated angiotensin II activation and chemotaxis of T lymphocytes.Mol Immunol. 2011; 48: 1835-1843
- Differential regulation of cytokine release and leukocyte migration by lipopolysaccharide-stimulated primary human lung alveolar type II epithelial cells and macrophages.J Immunol. 2007; 178: 463-473
- Angiotensin II up-regulates angiotensin I-converting enzyme (ACE), but down-regulates ACE2 via the AT1-ERK/p38 MAP kinase pathway.Am J Pathol. 2008; 172: 1174-1183
- Counteraction between angiotensin II and angiotensin-(1-7) via activating angiotensin type I and Mas receptor on rat renal mesangial cells.Regul Pept. 2012; 177: 12-20
- Agonists of MAS oncogene and angiotensin II type 2 receptors attenuate cardiopulmonary disease in rats with neonatal hyperoxia-induced lung injury.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2013; 305: L341-L351
- Angiotensin-(1-7) protects from experimental acute lung injury.Crit Care Med. 2013; 41: e334-e343
- Cryo-EM structure of the 2019-nCoV spike in the prefusion conformation.Science. 2020; 367: 1260-1263
- Angiotensin II mediates angiotensin converting enzyme type 2 internalization and degradation through an angiotensin II type I receptor-dependent mechanism.Hypertension. 2014; 64: 1368-1375
- Angiotensin converting enzyme 2 activity and human atrial fibrillation: increased plasma angiotensin converting enzyme 2 activity is associated with atrial fibrillation and more advanced left atrial structural remodelling.Europace. 2017; 19: 1280-1287
- Elevated plasma angiotensin converting enzyme 2 activity is an independent predictor of major adverse cardiac events in patients with obstructive coronary artery disease.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0198144
- Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 475-481
- Characteristics and outcomes of 21 critically ill patients with COVID-19 in Washington state.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1612-1614
- Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 507-513
- Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus–infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1061-1069
- Kidney disease is associated with in-hospital death of patients with COVID-19.Kidney Int. 2020; 97: 829-838
- Renal responses to antagonism of the renin-angiotensin system.Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 1996; 5: 89-96
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition and autoregulation of glomerular filtration.J Hypertens Suppl. 1988; 6: S69-S73
- Combined angiotensin inhibition for the treatment of diabetic nephropathy.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1892-1903
- What are the risks and benefits of temporarily discontinuing medications to prevent acute kidney injury? A systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e012674
- Essential roles for angiotensin receptor AT1a in bleomycin-induced apoptosis and lung fibrosis in mice.Am J Pathol. 2003; 163: 2523-2530
- Type 1 angiotensin receptors on macrophages ameliorate IL-1 receptor-mediated kidney fibrosis.J Clin Invest. 2014; 124: 2198-2203
- Stimulating type 1 angiotensin receptors on T lymphocytes attenuates renal fibrosis.Am J Pathol. 2019; 189: 981-988
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) mediates influenza H7N9 virus-induced acute lung injury.Sci Rep. 2014; 4: 7027
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 inhibits lung injury induced by respiratory syncytial virus.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 19840
- Association of inpatient use of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor blockers with mortality among patients with hypertension hospitalized with COVID-19.Circ Res. 2020; 126: 1671-1681
- Covid-19 testing, hospital admission, and intensive care among 2,026,227 United States veterans aged 54-75 years.medRxiv. 2020;
- 2016 ACC/AHA/HFSA Focused Update on New Pharmacological therapy for heart failure: an update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America.Circulation. 2016; 134: e282-e293
- Diagnosis and management of type 2 diabetic kidney disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 12: 1366-1373
- COVID-19: an ACP Physician's Guide. American College of Physicians. Treatment: Pharmacotherapy Web site.(Available at:)
- HFSA/ACC/AHA statement addresses concerns Re: using RAAS Antagonists in COVID-19.(Available at: https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2020/03/17/08/59/hfsa-acc-aha-statement-addresses-concerns-re-using-raas-antagonists-in-covid-19)Date: 2020Date accessed: May 1, 2020
- Clinical Affairs & Pactice Management Committee: position statement on Covid-19 and ACE inhibitor and angiotensin receptor blocker use in children with hypertension and kidney disease. COVID-19 Inf Web site.(Available at: https://www.aspneph.org/covid-19-information/)Date: 2020Date accessed: May 1, 2020
- Position Statement of the ESC Council on Hypertension on ACE-Inhibitors and Angiotensin Receptor Blockers.(Available at: https://www.escardio.org/Councils/Council-on-Hypertension-(CHT)/News/position-statement-of-the-esc-council-on-hypertension-on-ace-inhibitors-and-ang)Date: 2020Date accessed: May 1, 2020
- A statement from the International society of hypertension on COVID-19.(Available at: https://ish-world.com/news/a/A-statement-from-the-International-Society-of-Hypertension-on-COVID-19/)Date accessed: May 1, 2020
- Considerations for certain concomitant medications in patients with COVID-19. COVID-19 treatment guidelines Web site.(Available at: https://covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/concomitant-medications/)Date accessed: May 1, 2020
- ACE2, COVID-19, and ACE inhibitor and ARB use during the pandemic: the pediatric perspective.Hypertension. 2020; 76: 16-22
Hwang TJ, Randolph AG, Bourgeois FT. Inclusion of children in clinical trials of treatments for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). JAMA Pediatr. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2020.1888. May 7, 2020 [online ahead of print].
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Support: J.B.C. is supported by K23-HL133843 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute ; A.M.S. is supported by R01-HL146818 and L40-HL148910 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute . The funding sources had no involvement in the preparation of this article.